Manu Fortius Wants You!

Looking for a corporation to join that accentuates your play-style? At Manu Fortius, we have assembled a group of the best capsuleers to fly with. We take pride in fostering an atmosphere of like-minded people with common goals and a place where you can help the corp for the greater good and also allowing the freedom to choose your own path. Check us out!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Planetary Interaction 101: Basic Theory

Originally published in the September 2013 issue of The Industrialist

I would like to discuss planetary interaction (or pi for short).  I started doing pi over a year ago when living in a wormhole for a short time.  I went in with having learned only a few skills and then trained up while I was in the wormhole.  I think it was about a few months or maybe three before we decided to leave the wormhole (see the July issue of the Industrialist for those experiences).  While in the wormhole, it is super easy to do pi.  The quantity of the minerals and the quality of hot spots are amazing.  Having never done pi in high sec, I was amazed at how easy it (and quick) it was to put together a shit-ton of raw, tier 1 and tier 2 commodities.  I thought it was "normal" to have to upgrade your links two or three levels in order to deal with the incoming flow of raw materials from the extractor heads.  I should point out that the pi mechanics were the same as they are now, not the old school ones where you could mix and match extractor heads (or so I have read).  I was pulling so much in raw material that I had to empty the spaceport every day.  

Then I moved back to high sec and the pedestal that I put pi on fell over and lay broken in pieces on the floor.  High sec pi pretty much sucks.  The hot spots aren't great and the amount of raw material coming off the planet is a fraction of wh space.  I can leave the planet to run for a week without any problem.  

PI is important to the EVE community because all of the commodities made are no longer seeded by CCP. Everything has to be player-made. PI is mainly used in T2 and capital construction (including POS spikes). So they are always in demand. Someone once coined it, Passive Income. While it is pretty easy and low cost (once set up properly) it still has costs involved that can crush your profits is overlooked. Most notably, tax rates at customs houses. This is where your spaceports send PI items from off planet to space where you can retrieve them in your hauler. High Sec taxes are 10%. Low, null and WH space can be whatever the owner wants. I don’t even know if there is a limit other than 100%.

While in high sec I usually run a 2 extractors (pulling two different raw materials) and 4 basic factories making t1 commodities.  Also, I have a spaceport (dual use: storage and to transfer to ships in orbit).  Sometimes I have an advanced factory turning the two t1's into t2 commodities.  I usually use lava planets to make consumer electronics, gas or oceanic planets to make coolant and temperate or barren planets to make mechanical parts.  I also run a factory planet with a mix of factories and spaceports and drop all my t2 commodities to make the 3-part t2 and t3 commodities.  It may not be the most efficient use of planets, but in high sec that is pretty much what you get due to lower extraction rates.  I have 4 alts doing pi and refresh it once a week.  I pool all the items made in factories and sell the finished ones and install the precursor in the factories.  It is a lot of moving around with 4 alts, but it is only once every 7 days.  It works out well for me.  

As with all layouts, the links themselves use up CPU and PG, so keep them as short as possible. On gas planets, the links will be longer due to the nature of the planet size. The icons can only be so close together, so while it may look as close together as a temperate planet, the links are actually magnitudes longer thus lowering your already miniscule CPU/PG capacity. High Tech factories can only be built on Barren and Temperate planets. Keep this in mind when setting up manufacturing planets. Also chose either so that in the eventuality that you want to make tier 3 commodities, you can just add the factories and not have to move to another planet. That would be a costly endeavor.


Here are some designs/layouts I use on my planets to give you some ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment