Manu Fortius Wants You!

Looking for a corporation to join that accentuates your play-style? At Manu Fortius, we have assembled a group of the best capsuleers to fly with. We take pride in fostering an atmosphere of like-minded people with common goals and a place where you can help the corp for the greater good and also allowing the freedom to choose your own path. Check us out!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Failure to Launch

Originally published on 6/14/2013 on our old alliance forums.  Some of this is dated, but I still get launcher FUBARs and have to reload it.

In keeping with the “CCP Hates Me” theme, I would like to regale you with my trials and tribulations with the EVE client. A few months ago, about a month before the launch of Odyssey, my EVE client decided to shit on me (like after a night of Mexican food and Budweiser). I was already feeling like I was fighting the White Whale known as CCP, but the launcher really put the thundercloud over my head.

Some of you may have heard me reference the fact that I was having severe issues. At first, I was able to run EVE from the bin folder (which while I could still get into EVE, I thought was Busche-League). That continued for about a month, all the while, hoping CCP would fix the launcher. Perhaps they did. All I know is that it did not work for me. After Odyssey was released, things got worse. The launcher was still FUBAR and every time I launched EVE from the bin folder, it would try to update and then get stuck in some sort of quantum loop. Finally, resigned to the fact that CCP hates me. I decided to redownload the client and try a clean install. Boy was I in for a good time. First, the launcher still didn’t work (I wasn’t really surprised at this point). Second, I was able to launch from the bin folder, but only twice before it started playing dead again. So not only was it not working, I had all new settings (factory defaults if you will) as well as a temperamental client.

Undeterred, I tried to do a clean install again. Same result. I was getting “really” pissed. It was after midnight and I was weary with all the horse-shit I was going through. I finally buckled down, rolled up my sleeves, put on some arm-length latex gloves and began to reach inside the client like a vet checks for a baby in an elephant. I found a [very] obscure reference to a “beta” launcher that was being tested. “Why the fuck not?” I asked myself. I downloaded and installed it and set it up to log into Singularity. I failed to mention in the begging of this blog that I was also trying to get SiSi to work at the same time. While I would normally focus on only one major issue at a time, it turned out that my side-project to get SiSi running turned out to be the very solution of Tranquility's brick wall. Oddly enough, SiSi loaded right up. I was awarded all the super-caps in the game (I was so out of it (being 2am), I accepted them all in Orvolle (a high sec system) under my market alt (there were no portrait captures on SiSi) so I didn’t even notice my market toon loaded instead of Trunhe.

I then gave Tranquility the old “college try” and low and behold, it worked!

Every now and then I still have an issue (which ended my game time last night) where the launcher couldn’t connect to the server (I think the content server). Need less to say, I have still had to reinstall the beta launcher a few times, but other than that...I was able to fully grasp the inequities of Odyssey.

Oh well. Thanks CCP for making my life more “challenging” than it has to be. I have never had to work so hard to be able to play a computer game in my life. Spread sheets, 3rd Party apps, ect. Such is the life of an EVE player, but multiply that by 10 for being a CEO. Anyway. That's my two ISK.

No comments:

Post a Comment