Manu Fortius Wants You!

Looking for a corporation to join that accentuates your play-style? At Manu Fortius, we have assembled a group of the best capsuleers to fly with. We take pride in fostering an atmosphere of like-minded people with common goals and a place where you can help the corp for the greater good and also allowing the freedom to choose your own path. Check us out!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

ISK, the Mother of all INVENTION

Originally published in the October 2013 issue of The Industrialist

I do a lot of inventing. Invention in EVE is the only way to make T2 blueprint copies. T2 blueprint originals (BPOs) are no longer available (other than buying and selling them). They used to be rewards, from what I remember. If you are lucky enough to have a T2 BPO, they are worth hundreds of millions or even billions of ISK, but they are actually priceless. I don't know of too many people that would give them up.

For the rest of us, there is invention. That process starts with the T1 blueprint COPY (BPC). You can buy these on contract or make them yourself by copying the T1 blueprint original. T2 BPCs on the contract market are generally reasonably priced. If you don't own a lot of T1 BPOs, the contract system is still a valid way to acquire T1 BPCs, and you can still make a profit manufacturing T2 items. I would shy away from ships though. The market is tough, and you really need to watch your costs vigilantly, or else you are building and selling at a large loss.

As I mentioned, I do a lot of invention. I have three toons running invention at least one cycle per day and sometimes two. I queue up my jobs by 18hrs so I don't use up too many invention slots in NPC stations (See Lab Ediquitte, Please - September 2013 Issue #3).

Recently, I have been running invention on drones and modules. I have a large surplus of T2 ship hulls from frigates to transports, but I don't see enough profit in them to build them right now. I can make more ISK working with modules and drones. Ships also take a while to build, so you tie up manufacturing slots for longer periods of time. Note that larger modules, like large guns and heavy armor plates, take a lot longer to manufacture than drones and small modules.

You use data-cores in order to do the inventions. Each BPC requires a different set of data-cores. Clicking on the info of the BPC then clicking the invention tab will tell you what data-core you will need. Generally it takes two. For projectile autocannons, it will probably be mechanical engineering and nuclear physics. Data-cores can be bought on the market (that's what I do). You can also get them from research agents if you have the skills to do research. I haven't looked into it yet, but I believe you need certain standings with the agent's NPC corp as well.

I also have a large swath of items I invent and manufacture. I don't really specialize in too much in case the market tanks on one item. I still have a dozen other ones I can liquidate at a profit if I need fast ISK, like when I get a request for a capital build. I have a huge supply of T2 module and drone BPCs in my hanger. I can invent much faster than I can build, so I always have plenty to build from. I usually have a toon that doesn't have invention skills run copies through our POS, so that I don't tie up a research slot on my invention toon.

You are only able to run up to 11 lab jobs at one time with the lab skills up to level V. [Perhaps clearer this way: You can run a maximum of 11 lab jobs at level V lab skills (Lab Operation? Advanced Lab Operation? Or both??)] You want to train Lab Operation to V and Adv Lab Operation to at least level III (buy (buy what??) if you wish be a real industrialist, train it to V) It is a long train, but oh so worth it. You will also need the racial skill and then the technology-specific skill(s) to run invention. I would train them all to IV, since they all/each have a large impact on invention success. Technology-specific skills are the ones like Laser Physics, High Energy Physics, etc. They are spendy (10mil/each from Schools like the Federal Navy Academy?), so if you want to invent a specific set of modules or drones at first, just train those two or three skills to level IV. Then you can diversify as you progress and round out all of the tech-specific skills over time.

Here are some things that you should really keep in mind to get the most out of your inventions:

When copying T1 BPOs, make sure you change the runs to the max, usually 1500 for drones & ammo and 300 for modules. I don't find that ships matter as you only get one-run BPCs, unless you use decryptors. On modules, ammo, and drones, not using max-run BPCs will net you T2 BPCs with less than max blueprint runs.
For example, I wasn't paying attention the other day, and I made 1000-run drone BPCs. When they rolled into T2 BPCs, instead of the 10 runs, I had only 7-run BPCs. Over time, that can really add up. You can only run so many BPCs. In this case, after 10 runs, I would have 30 less units than if I used max-run BPCs. This lowers your ISK/Hour significantly. If buying T1 BPCs from contracts, make sure you check each BPC's info to make sure they are ALL max-run copies.

You may want to invest in decryptors when running very expensive BPCs, like those for ships. I have a few Viator BPCs with 10 runs each. I took about 7 Iteron BPCs and used +10 to max run decryptors and successfully invented three or four T2 BPCs. Sometimes it evens out; sometimes it works out way better. Using different decryptors gives you a bonus in either ME/PE (max run or success percentage). It could also be a mix of the three, and sometimes having a higher value ??in on aspect?? will deduct from another one.

You have to read the info on each decryptor. The reason I don't use decryptors and modules is that they can get spendy, and the module BPCs are easy enough to make & invent.
* All T2 BPCs have a -4PE / -4ME. It increases the requirement of components and minerals quite a lot, so you need to be aware of that. You can modify this with the use of decryptors. Again, here is where using decryptors on ship BPCs can make the difference between loss and profit.

This is just some basic info to get your started on your advanced manufacturing career. As a teaser, I make around 40-120% profit on my T2 modules. Your results may vary, and your production skills will affect the your efficiency and profits.

I consider myself a small-scale operation with 4 toons. I don't know if that is indeed small or not, but I enjoy it. I've heard if you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. I have tried every career in EVE. Manufacturing is close to the top of my enjoyable activity list. It takes some time and ISK to get there, but it is worth it. I just wish each manufactured item was stamped with your name so you could get some free advertising. [Indeed!]

No comments:

Post a Comment