Manu Fortius Wants You!

Looking for a corporation to join that accentuates your play-style? At Manu Fortius, we have assembled a group of the best capsuleers to fly with. We take pride in fostering an atmosphere of like-minded people with common goals and a place where you can help the corp for the greater good and also allowing the freedom to choose your own path. Check us out!

Monday, March 3, 2014

EVE, Not Just a Hobby.

I downloaded Space Engineer Saturday on Steam.  Played for an hour or so and then went to a wedding.  I didn't wake up until 2pm the next afternoon (I had a touch of the hangover).  I put some more time into it.  You see, our alliance is under a war-dec.  Activity curtails and I tend to wane interest. Not that I am afraid or unable to fight.  I just don't feel like it.  I have out of corp alts doing all the industrial work.  There is really no reason to log in while we are pinned down.  I have my market toon working the buying and selling.  I have production lines going with orders so there really isn't much hands-on stuff to be done.  This is when I try other things.

Let's be straight.  I have been playing EVE Online since 2009.  I don't plan on quiting.  I have made lots of ISK and I have lost a lot.  I am in tune to the lows and the highs of life in the EVE universe.  I don't know it all, but I am far from a fresh-faced newb looking for a place to eke out ISK.  I can afford to take my time and not let the shenanigans affect my play style (for the most part).  Sometimes, I kind of look forward to the forced downtime.  Other than a few rare instances, I find it hard to walk away from Eve.  

Some of you may know the feeling.  Most probably don't. I was talking with some friends about it.  Eve is a hobby.  It costs money, but we get enjoyment out of it. People sometimes don't understand where gamers come from. I know my fiancĂ©e doesn't.  She would be perfectly happy with me not even owning a computer.  I guess I could spend a little more time giving her my undivided attention, but that's another story.  It's not much different than watching TV or going to the movies.  Hell, it's a natural evolution from tabletop games (the ancestor of the computer game).  People we watch TV have to pay for the privilege (yes it is a privilege still) to watch TV or go see a movie.  Are they not getting enjoyment while still paying a fee?  Yup. 






I think we should play the game for the reasons we think we do.  Sometimes that gets lost in the translation.  In Eve, sometimes the politics, war-decs, gankings and market warfare can shatter the enjoyment.  If you hang in there, it is generally only temporary.  




So next time you think you want to quit Eve for good, just think about it.  You already spent a lot of money for the sub.  You are just throwing that away.  Things get better.  I guess that is my thought for today.

As Always, Fly Safe-ish.   

No comments:

Post a Comment